Sunday, June 29, 2014

Deadlines

The Sewing Lawyer has been known to sew to a deadline - many times in fact.  However, it is probably not such a great thing to be sewing on buttons a mere 60 minutes before one has to appear appropriately attired at a professional event involving la crème de la crème of Canada's legal community.  Which is exactly what happened yesterday.

It got done, but there were some tense moments.  And (if truth be told) the lining wasn't properly hemmed before the dress made its début.  Yikes!

As it was worn.

SCC Law Clerks Reunion - with the Chief Justice of Canada

What's that you say?  This is a sewing blog and you can hardly see any details?

OK then.  Here's a better photo taken today, after the lining was hemmed and a couple of other little details were taken care of so it is really finished.  



The back fits well. In the end I took in the CB seam above the waist for a better fit for my narrow back. Notice that I added a bit more fabric to the back of the armscye opening below the cap sleeve.  I also lengthened the sleeve about 1.5cm.  As usual, this type of sleeve doesn't provide for much upward arm mobility, and these modifications didn't improve that.  However, I felt the extra coverage was required.

I have no memory of where or when these great buttons came into stash, but believe they had been used before as I had to do a little polishing to bring up their fake tortoiseshell colouration and sheen.

The pattern calls for 7 decorative buttons and four flat ones for the concealed placket below the waist.  I only used 5 - 2 on the pockets and 3 at CF.  The remaining 2 would have been on the collar but I liked the way it falls open without these extra buttons.

Speaking of the concealed placket, I sewed the placket to the facing between each of the buttons as you can (sort of) see at left.  This prevents the placket from completely falling open when you sit down.  The pattern omits this instruction, which is really essential for this type of closure.

I wish I had realized when cutting out the lining that the front lining piece was shorter than the other dress pieces (that do double duty as lining).  I hemmed the dress a tad longer than the pattern called for, which means the lining is pretty skimpy.  Note to self to check this the next time before cutting.

Finally, as you can see I did not make a self-fabric belt.  Life was definitely far too short yesterday, and I like the way this leather belt looks with the dress.

20 comments:

  1. I rushed over from PR to tell you how beautiful your dress is. It's TDF! Worth the stress, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this came out! I have this pattern, and the collar and the cap sleeves really drew me to it- it's so lovely to see them made up. Your version is so well done! (And the leather belt looks good- I think it pops a lot more than a self fabric one would)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew! Glad to hear you got it finished (enough) in time for the event. Love your fabric choice, button selection and belt decision. The dress fits you perfectly and looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous dress! You look so cool and polished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful - love the fabric! Great job, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great dress. It really suits you.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dress, Kay, and it fits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very chic with clean lines and an absolutely perfect fit. You are a wonder and such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing the challenges and the work arounds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one gorgeous dress. The fabric is divine and my favorite part of it is the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning dress. I ve had the pattern for years i must sew it congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ive circled this pattern like a shark- now I really want to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny. I wore a dress to a wedding reception last weekend. My lining was unfinished also but I think I was the only one who knew that. Yours is a beautiful dress and I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phenomenal! And nooooo one knows that it wasn't completely finished! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a beautiful dress, and you look very comfortable in it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful dress and glad to read that I am not the only one to rush to complete for an occasion ;-) That pattern has been on my to make list since it came out thank you for such a great rendition, it encourages me to add it to my summer sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice! The belt is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking dress! Love your fabric choice too. I hadn't noticed this pattern before. Interesting sleeves. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous. Truly gorgeous dress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This dress is beautiful. I absolutely love how crisp and well made it is. Beautiful craftsmanship as always.

    ReplyDelete